This is a great side dish, fairly easy to make, healthier than regular risotto but so good! Maybe even better than regular risotto.
This recipe is a base recipe and you can add in different veggies to change it up, or it is great just as it is.
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth (I usually use almost double that)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup pearl barley
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- Combine chicken broth and wine and heat until simmering.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot, sauté barley until slightly toasted, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic, cook until transparent.
- Add the stock and wine half a cup at a time, stirring until all the liquid has been absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Barley should be al dente.
- Turn heat off, and stir in the parmesan.
- Place lid on the pot and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and parsley.